The information here has been taken directly from the WPPI Website:
(ARTICLE) How to Create an Award-Winning Photo Print
February 16, 2018
COMMON PRINT PITFALLS TO AVOID
1. Expressionless subjects will undermine beautiful posing, superb lighting and a gorgeous location.
2. Holding onto the print’s “emotional baggage”—all the things that went on before and after that are not visible.
3. Not assessing the image under the right light: f/2.8, 1/125th of a second and ISO 100.
TIPS FOR SUBMITTING SUCCESS
1. Make small work prints and place them near your work area. After a few days, turn them upside down. The problem areas will be revealed more easily as you disconnect from the emotional construction of the image.
2. If you can see it, we can see it. Examine your prints minutely for problems—again, upside down.
3. Don’t leave making your entries to the last minute. You don’t deserve the anguish, stress and increased courier costs.
4. Bring your entries in 6 x 4-inch prints to WPPI. You can show them to others easily and if you’re chatting to a judge after the event, we can draw corrections on them for you!
David Anthony Williams is a seasoned WPPI judge. This year’s live judging takes place Saturday, February 24, and Sunday, February 25, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. at the Great Hall in the Excalibur Hotel, Las Vegas.
SUBMIT IMAGES FOR CRITIQUE
Every month Kelly will do a live critique on her Facebook page of images that have been sent via the monthly submission. Only a handful are selected so even if yours isn’t you can still learn a lot by the feedback on other peoples images. This is a really good opportunity to learn how to improve your images.
The Website link to the past judges doesn’t work and just takes you to the home page – https://www.wppiawards.com/judges.shtml
DIRECTOR OF WPPI – https://www.linkedin.com/in/theresaraffetto/
TO ENTER YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A MEMBER BUT IT’S CHEAPER IF YOU ARE
$70-$85 NON MEMBERS